- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup bran twig cereal
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk*
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups bran twig cereal
- 1 cup raspberries (I use frozen ones that I thaw in the fridge)
* If you don't have buttermilk, you can use 1.25 cups of milk and 1 tbsp + 1 tsp white vinegar (or lemon juice).
Directions (the key is that you need to refrigerate these overnight!)
1. In a small bowl, pour the boiling water over 1/2 cup of bran cereal. When it cools (at least 15 minutes) add vegetable oil and egg.
2. While the water/bran mixture cools, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and brown sugar in a different, big bowl.
3. Add buttermilk and mix. Stir in remaining cereal, then the softened bran mixture. Add the raspberries. Cover the batter and refrigerate it overnight.
4. When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375°F. Put liners or nonstick spray in muffin tin. Stir the batter then fill muffins up about 3/4 of the way full.
5. Bake about 12 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool.
The batter will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge. You can bake a few muffins at a time; just fill the rest of your tin with a little water to prevent it from burning.